Do you want to get a copy of KUBO Magazine? Click here to subscribe.

Category: Community

My First Crush

“Hi, Joi. It’s Tony. Remember me?” Intrigued, I clicked his Facebook account and switched back to our chat: “Yes! We were university classmates in Manila, Philippines in the 80s. How are you?” We exchanged fast facts summarizing the last 30 years. We’re now both married with great spouses and awesome kids, stable jobs, blah blah.

Read More »

MEET THE MAESTRO: Romi MananQuil

The honey-coloured yellow walls brightened the living interiors, spotlights beaming at his paintings. Like a mini art gallery, his works of art formed a cultural mosaic that made its way through each room, from the moment you walk in. “Maestro” Romeo Mananquil, also known as Romi, invited us to his Mississauga residence, his home radiating

Read More »
KUBO Magazine - Imelda Martinez web

Late bloomer offers up some floral advice

Late bloomer offers up some floral advice on picking flowers for your big day Imelda Martinez is a late bloomer — a description that fits her just fine especially now that she’s found her love and ultimate passion in flowers. The floral designer and owner of ‘Flowers and Designs by Imelda’ said her journey may

Read More »

Joseph Morong: Staying in the Story

He described the beat as boring and not sexy. Stories for peace, or what he considered were stories for peace. A wavy-haired, sturdy man of mid-thirties, with legs crossed tightly, he fashioned his talk on communicating the message of the marginalized. A decade and a half had passed since he graduated with distinction from the

Read More »

John Ablaza: Passion for Fashion

First, you find a passion. Then you put into hard work. Those words seem clichéd and repetitive enough, like an overplayed hit song or advertisement on television. But it’s the formula for success along with meeting the right people which Manila-based fashion designer John Ablaza has utilized to reach his status as a trailblazer in

Read More »

A Slice of Home

The Philippines has always been a meeting place of the East and the West. Our history and culture have stirred Malay, Spanish, American and Chinese influences for centuries. Our Filipino identities are founded on these cross-cultural encounters, making for fertile soil for Philippine creativity and innovation. Despite all of the migrating and re-rooting in my

Read More »